Wednesday, October 12, 2011

sweet potato tacos

IMG_9610

are another thing i have made recently. inspired by this post. mine are much less fancy. which means i didn't buy the purple cabbage.

i applied to graduate this week and begin scheduling a series of heinous but apparently necessary advising appointments. after this semester, i will only need 11 credits to graduate. this, of course, is dependent on not totally messing up this semester but so far it looks promising. in my honors advising appointment on friday, i tried to come up with a mock schedule - my last schedule ever. it was hard. this will be the last time i have professors and homework. i have no plans of going to grad school as of now and i'm beginning to feel a little upset about the prospect of leaving academia forever. but also excited. excited to be a real person getting real experience in the real world. it will take time to adjust to the fact that there are no semesters and that i don't get to change what i'm doing every four months. adjusting to a lack of summer vacation and winter break will be even more difficult. i have to keep reminding myself to enjoy those things while i still have them.

big changes are afoot my bloggy amigos. what advice do you have for a one person with a penchant for planning in this time of complete uncertainty? what would you tell your 21-year old self?

1 comment:

  1. I have been working hard on coming up with something here. I need Plans A through X in place before I even wake up in the morning. I am a Control Freak. Capital C Capital F. BUT, years of experience and therapy has taught me that it's no use. No amount of planning and listing and plotting and coordinating and preparation can ever change the way things turn out. Never has anything ever turned out the way I planned it to. And that's okay.

    It wasn't okay for a very long time, and I felt like a miserable failure because I couldn't do anything I set out to do. But that's not the way life is for anyone.

    So what would I tell my 21 year old self? And the 21 year old you? Take the time to make a few plans. Set a few goals. Planning can keep the voices quiet and make you (me) feel productive and responsible, but at the end of the day you just have to be open to whatever comes along.

    And shitty things can/will come along, but they usually lead to things that aren't so shitty. And things that aren't so shitty usually lead to things that aren't shitty at all. It takes time.

    And patience. And open-mindedness and courage and bravery and strength.

    All things that you already carry inside yourself.

    ReplyDelete